September 2021 Board Highlights
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
- Congratulations to England Metcalfe of Ecole Secondaire Foothills Composite High School on their recent appointment to the provincial Minister's Youth Advisory Council.
- Thank you to the staff, volunteers, and families in their efforts to ensure a successful first day of school for our students.
Engagement, Support, and Success
- 2021-2022 COVID-19 School Renewal Updates were reviewed to ensure we comply with current information from the Alberta Government.
- The Board of Trustees communicate in writing with the Minister of Education expressing its concerns and frustrations with the decision-making process imposed on school divisions and the lack of leadership by the Government of Alberta related to COVID health restrictions including mask use within schools, resulting in greater uncertainty and division within our communities. A copy of the letter sent to Minister LaGrange was appended for information.
- The Board adjusted the 2021-2022 school calendar to recognize and honour September 30, 2021 as The National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
- The Board of Trustees nominated the Foothills School Division’s Truth and Reconciliation for Learner Success Toolkit for the ASBA 2021 School Board Innovation & Excellence Award.
- Cameron Crossing School will be relocating to the Town of Okotoks Learning Campus.
- The Board has petitioned the Minister for approval for the sale of the Cameron Crossing School to the Town of Okotoks for the sum of $500,000 as per property appraisal.
- The Board approved the Lease Agreement with the Town of Okotoks on the new Cameron Crossing School pending approval from the Minister to sell/transfer the current Cameron Crossing School to the Town of Okotoks.
- The Board accepted the final reading of Policy 7 – Board Committees and Representatives and approved the 2021-2022 Policy Review Schedule.
- Legislation requires the Board to appoint an Acting Superintendent yearly in cases where the Superintendent may be absent or unable to perform his duties for a temporary period. The Board has designated Allen Davidson into this role.
- A financial update and capital update were provided.
- The Board of Trustees approved the processes and timelines for the Foothills School Division Three-Year Plan and Annual Education Results Report (AERR).
- The Board accepted the Board Work Plan – Policy 2, Appendix A.
Presentations to the Board
September 8, 2021
- Charity Tegler, Indigenous Learning Facilitator, delivered an update on her work with a focus on the successes of providing high quality instructional programs and educational services for Indigenous students and to increase understanding and acceptance of Indigenous cultures for all students, staff, and the community.
- Director of Staff Wellness & Learning, Cynthia Glaicar provided a report which covered three goals:
- Advance a Culture of Wellness & Wellbeing
- Advance Excellence in Teaching, Learning & Leading
- Advance Learning for Transfer
September 22, 2021
- French Services Facilitator Shelley Zorn, provided an update on French Services within Foothills School Division.
- Mr. Doug Stevens presented a report on Assurance, Innovation & Design.